Advanced Program in Pluralistic Jewish Education
Hebrew Union College Jerusalem, in cooperation with the Melton Centre for Jewish Education at the Hebrew University
The Advanced Program in Pluralistic Jewish Education at Hebrew Union College, Jerusalem, includes studies towards an MA degree in Jewish Education from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
The program attracts a serious group of influential educators who are selected according to stringent criteria. Institutions such as the Leo Baeck Education Center in Haifa have decided to promote this course as a significant in-service training opportunity for their emerging educational leadership. Our student body consists of directors, senior teachers, informal educators and educational administrators at the forefront of efforts to develop pluralistic Jewish education in Israel.
The Program is overseen by a Steering Group comprising representatives from both institutions. In order to allow participants from around the country to participate, the course takes place one day a week during two academic years, 2 summer courses and intensive seminars. Full participation in the course provides an MA degree from the Hebrew University, and a Certificate in Pluralistic Jewish Education from the Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion.
- Promotes pluralistic Jewish education and leadership skills on a graduate level.
- Promotes theoretical research and framing for pluralism in Jewish education.
- Relates to both the theoretical and practical realms of Jewish education.
- Creates both a community of learners and a network of professionals for present and future initiatives within Israeli society.
- Supports its students and graduates through professional mentoring during the program and ongoing networking following graduation.
Prof. Jonatan Cohen, Director, The Melton Centre for Jewish Education, Hebrew University
Rabbi Naama Kelman, Dean, Hebrew Union College, Jerusalem
Dr. Michal Muzskat-Barkan, Director of HUC - Jerusalem's Department of Education and Professional Development.
Eliraz Shifman Berman, coordinator of the Pluralistic Jewish Education-MA Program. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of Coursework
- Teaching Other Religions in Jewish Education, Dr. Michael Gillis
- Reading & Teaching the Bible as a multi-faceted text, Dr, Rony Magidov
- Pluralistic Jewish Education in the World of the Talmudic Sages, Dr. Ruchama Weiss
- Reflective Practice and Pluralistic Jewish Education: skills, content and tensions Dr. Michal Muzskat-Barkan
- Readiness For a Change In Educational Institutes, Prof. Isa Aron
- Pray By the Book, Pray in the Group, Pray from the Heart: Prayer as an ideal and a threat in Pluralistic Jewish Education, Dr. Michal Muszkat-Barkan & Rabbi Dr. Michael Marmur.